Amazing Experiences of Nature
4 days / 3 nights
Time to visit: July thru October
Small Group with English-speaking guides
Tour starts in Bogota:
2017: August, 03
- Bogota - the cosmopolitan and surprising city. Author's full day tour.
- Caño Cristales - the most beautiful river of Colombia and undoubtedly one of the most beautiful in the world. This river has several unique characteristics, such as its rock formations, waterfalls and the "Macarenia Clavijera" - an aquatic plant that gives the red color to the river.
Day 01. Bogota-Villavicencio. Breakfast at your hotel. Today you will see the best of Bogota during our author's full day tour. After breakfast you will transfer to Monserrate Hill, the main symbol of Bogota located at 10300 feet (3.152 meters) above the sea level. Prepare for a great ride by a scenic cable car up there where is home of the Monserrate Sanctuary, a famous pilgrimage site. From the Hill you will appreciate the beautiful Bogota views and landscapes. Take a moment to look at the Stations of the Cross: all in all lovely. Here is the Monserrate Sanctuary. Enjoy this very beautiful place of peace and harmony. Then you will transfer to the historical district La Candelaria with Bolivar Square. The historic centre of Bogota is best seen on foot. Fun walking along the little streets in La Candelaria, a vibrant section of the city with small shops, ancient churches and a lot of history. There are old houses and building of Spanish colonial and baroque styles. You will make a tour through the historic Quinta de Simon Bolivar, the place where the liberator lived. You will visit the Gold Museum, home of the world's largest collection of pre-Hispanic goldsmith and visit the Botero's museum which contains a stunning collection of works by Fernando Botero and many other globally recognized artists. Early evening you will drive out of Bogota to Villavicencio, capital of the department of Meta, "The Gate to the Llanos," located in the foothills of the Andes and only three hours from the Colombian capital. Arrival and lodging at the hotel in Villavicencio for 1 night. Dinner on your own. Overnight in the town of Villavicencio. (Breakfast and lunch included)
Day 02. Villavicencio - La Macarena - Caño Cristales. Breakfast at your hotel. Morning transfer to the airport of Villavicencio. Flight to La Macarena, the gateway to Caño Cristales, Colombian river commonly called "The River of Five Colors," "The Liquid Rainbow" and "The Most Beautiful River in the World" due to the striking colors like yellow, green, blue, black, and especially the red of the Macarenia clavigera at the bottom of the river giving it a unique appearance. Arrival and lodging at the hotel in La Macarena for 2 nights. Today we will navigate on the river Guayabero, then we ride a car and finally the last 2 km should be done by walking because cars do not have direct access to the river. Hiking on the banks of Caño Cristales, visiting different places on the river, enjoying swimming and the waterfalls. The following points will be visited today on the left bank of Caño Cristales: Cascada de los cuarzos, La piedra de la Virgen, Los pianos, Cascada del amor. Picnic lunch on the river bank. Early evening return to La Macarena. Dinner on your own. Overnight in the town of La Macarena. (Breakfast and picnic lunch included)
Day 03. Caño Cristales. Breakfast at your hotel. Today we will visit other Caño Cristales river bank with the most amazing views. The river flows through La Serrania de la Macarena, a large Colombian nature reserve which extends over a length of 130 kilometers and a width of thirty kilometers. During wet season, the water flows too fast and deep, obscuring the bottom of the river and denying the Macarenia clavigera the sun that it needs to turn red and the river transforms into a veritable living rainbow, unique natural scenery in a wonderful region. The brilliant colors of the underwater plants and the differences in depths of the river can not be described. You can not believe your eyes on these sightings. The river turns bright red in some places, bright green, and dark pink and hard. Hiking on the right bank of Caño Cristales and visit the following points: El sillon de Buda, Pozo cuadrado, Escalera and Salto del Aguila. Hiking in these places is incredible and the paths go through virgin mountainous jungle, behind the oldest tepuis of the Sierra in a rugged area in which numerous rock paintings are still unexplored. In this place are three ecosystems rich in the biological diversity: Andes, Eastern Llanos and Amazon rainforest, giving rise to spectacular natural scenery. Picnic lunch on the river bank. Early evening return to La Macarena. Dinner on your own. Overnight in the town of La Macarena. (Breakfast and picnic lunch included)
Day 04. La Macarena - Bogota. Breakfast at your hotel. Morning on your own. Transfer to the airport. Direct flight to Bogota at 15:00. Arrival to Bogota at 16:00. Meet up at the airport and transfer to your hotel. Lodging for 1 night. Private tour to go the modern city of Bogotá from south to north and from east to west: Zona T, Carrera Seventh, Barrio Quinta Camacho, Mirador de la Calera, Hacienda Santa Barbara, Usaquen. You will appreciate Bogota night time lighting and can enjoy a delicious dinner, a glass of wine or beer. Dinner on your own. Overnight in Bogota. (Breakfast included)
|Rates p/ adult person, group min of 12 pax - Taxes and Fees included|
|Double occupancy DBL||$1729|
|Single occupancy SGL||$1909|
- Flight Villavicencio - La Macarena
- Flight La Macarena - Bogota.
- Transfer Bogota - Villavicencio.
- Lodging for 1 night in Villavicencio.
- Lodging for 2 nights in La Macarena.
- Lodging for 1 night in Bogota.
- 3 lunches during the tours.
- Drinking water, refreshments, and cookies during the tours.
- Daily transport according to the program.
- English speaking guide on transfers and tours. Russian or Spanish guide - by inquiry.
- Entrance fee according to the program.
Price does NOT include:
- International flight.
- Tips for the guides and attending personnel at the hotel.
- Tour insurance. Offered for an extra charge.
- Additional accommodation in Colombia.
What you should bring:
- 10 kg capacity backpack and a small kangaroo/fanny pack for documents.
- Small backpack for day hikes with regularly taken medicine.
- Plastic bags for garbage during hiking.
- T-shirts and sweat pants in light colors and with long sleeves. Do not wear jeans.
- Shoes well-closed around the ankles.
- Two pairs of comfortable walking shoes with rubber soles, tennis shoes for replacements.
- Swimming suit is important because almost each trek passes through or arrives at a river stream or waterfall.
- Hat, sunscreen, towel, insect repellent and rain coat.
- Water bottle.
- Camera and spare batteries for the camera.
- The best time to visit is from July to October, when the chances of enjoying the tour are greater. The colors are most amazing during the months of July to October inclusive. The rest of the year, you will almost certainly be disappointed.
- It's a wet and natural environment, 30 degrees Celsius on average and it may reach 35 degrees with humidity. There are lots of cattle in the area which is the reason for insects. Insect repellent should be used.
- Itinerary may change due to weather conditions, unforeseen road to Villavicencio, recommendations or determinations of the authorities or of the guides and order situations. In this case, continue with the trip looking for the normal development of the tour without going into any risk.
- Local and environmental authorities coordinate permits with the military force to ensure the security and tranquility of the visitor to all areas on the tour.
- It is not allowed to take any photographs of military installations or military forces without their consent.
- To facilitate the movement and agility of the group, it is usually formed of 4-14 people.
- Trails are not marked and in some cases climbing the rocks and crossing the river is necessary. It is important to wear shoes with a good grip and a walking stick might be of some help.
- Every traveler should carry an identification document and health insurance.
- Wrapping papers and electronic equipment in plastic bags.
- Lunch is usually carried by each traveler from La Macarena to allow us to spend the full day at the river. The rest of the meals can be ordered at the restaurants in La Macarena.
- There are no ATMs in La Macarena and the main transportation is by motorcycle taxi.
- Wednesday in the village is considered a holiday and most of the businesses are closed.
- The hours of electric power are usually from 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm.
- Yellow fever and tetanus vaccines are recommended, although none are compulsory.
- The price of a tour can be requested using a Request Form. The price of the tour depends on a number of people in a group.
- Tour payments are only accepted in bank transfers to the bank of Milavia International, Ltd in the USA. The currency for payments is $US.
- The full payment for an individual tour (1 to 7 people) has to be made 50 days in advance (beginning of the tour).
- If the passenger has health problems or physical limitations of any kind, it is essential to let Milavia International, Ltd know at the time of booking.
- Passengers with heart and ortopaedic problems are not recommended to this tour.
- Milavia International, Ltd reserves the right to remove any individual at any time during the tour if she/he is physically incapable to participate in the planned activities.
- Milavia International, Ltd. assumes no responsibility for special arrangements.
This is a simple program. Combine it with other programs, add days or destinations. Milavia International will design your trip just for you. We recommend extending the program in any direction - Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil or any other Latin American country.